Thursday, October 22, 2009

Just a bit confusing...

So what exactly do you do when you have two different doctors saying different things about diet?

On the one hand I have a doctor telling me to forget about my calorie and fat intake and keep a real close eye on my carb intake.

The other doctor is telling me to watch my calorie, fat and carb intake.

These two views completely go against each other.

The second doctor's advice not only narrows down what I can eat anywhere, but it also then makes my grocery bill much much higher, which I just cannot afford to strictly follow. The first doctor's advice isn't as restrictive, but it does limit the food and it also isn't as hard on money as the second doctor's.

The second doctor is backed up by a nutritionist. No idea if the first doctor is.

What I'm thinking is 'do what is easier on your wallet...if you can't afford to commit 100% then don't commit at all.' Which of course points to following the first doctor's advice.

Problem is I won't be the only one following either advice and I don't think the other is really sold on the first doctor's advice because they know very little about it. Another problem is we don't have much time to try doing one for a few months or years then if it doesn't work try the other. And yet another problem is that the second doctor's advice might work for my other, but so far I have found myself extremely hungry instead of satisfied, which as we all know is not going to help me keep to the diet.

According to doctor the second my intake of calories should be no more than 1300 and my fat no more than 30 grams a day.

Doctor the first says that for the first few weeks my net carb (again that is when you subtract the Dietary fiber grams from the total carbohydrate grams) intake should be no more than 20 a day.

Problem the first:
Michelina's Lean Gourmet Flatbreads Chicken Club.
Serving size One package
Calories 290
Total Fat 7g
Cholesterol 20mg
Sodium 870mg
Total Carbohydrate 42g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugars 3g
Protein 15g
Net Carbs 40g

Please tell me how I am to follow them both? Doctor the second never gave any guidelines to just how many carbs I should be taking in so telling me to watch my carb intake is a joke. After calling doctor the second's dietitian she said about 60g of net carbs a day.

What if that's not enough or too many carbs for me to loose weight? My other needs to stay away from fat in order for his liver to shrink so that when he goes into surgery doctor the second doesn't have to make a huge incision.

The only reason I am trying to figure this out is because I want my other and I to succeed in our endeavor. What's the point of doing it if you don't succeed?? If we're both on the same page, then there's no chance of having food in the house that could be a bad temptation.

What's even worst, is that everyone has their own thoughts and 'beliefs' on the matter of dieting, but what works for one person, doesn't mean it's going to work for another. And there really is no right or wrong, despite what a lot of health nuts want to believe. Reminds me of religion actually.

I guess the only thing that can be done is to try a little of both. Never feel bad about what is eaten and the most important is to get enough exercise. At least that last part we're doing well in.

No comments: